Normally I am not a fan of censoring or limiting speech, but I suppose sooner or later I would have to clearly write a set of rules for commenting on this blog. Due to recent exchanges that have taken place here, I have come up with a set of rules to facilitate an atmosphere of conversation and dialogue on comments. Violating these rules will result in a warning for some offenses, followed by the comment getting unapproved. Other violations will result in immediate removal and/or banning from posting on this site.
Please be respectful of other people. By commenting on this site you are agreeing to the rules below. These rules are subject to change, and such changes will be enforceable after they are made. Also, by commenting you agree that I hold the sole right to determine whether or not these rules have been violated.
If I have to “moderate” a comment, I shall un-approve it. I will also try to post a reply that will list which rule is the source of moderation. It is not my job to make you think it is fair, but I will try to communicate why I have made a determination if we can remain civil about it. Above all else, these rules are here to protect everyone from harmful speech.
(1) No slurs, epithets, or derogatory language used in a volatile or hostile manner will be allowed on this site. Use of words or phrases that are criminal in nature or that violate U.S. and Alabama state law (read: death threats or stalking) are also prohibited. Use of these words and phrases will result in the immediate takedown of any offending comments. Violators who do so a second time will be banned from commenting on this site.
(2) Comments shall deal with issues raised in the initial post and in germane comments to the post. As such, quoting from the post or anything linked in the post will be helpful. Sometimes comments do get sidetracked. I will ask you to keep it on topic if I must. Any comments after I ask to stay on topic may get moderated at my discretion.
(3) Nonresponsive answers and repeated questions shall be moderated after the second time they are given in a comment thread. I shall try to issue warnings before I have to moderate.
(4) Gaslighting and appeals to authority to avoid responding to arguments are also prohibited. I wish this didn’t have to be a rule. You will be warned before moderation.
(5) Proselytizing after being asked to stop is also prohibited. Spamming Bible verses is also prohibited.
(6) Trolling blog posts or pages on this site is prohibited. Things that fall under trolling are at my discretion, but generally they include a pattern of behavior here and elsewhere. People who troll my posts will get banned as soon as I make that determination. If you are banned for trolling, you are never, ever coming back here.
My Rules for linking to sites using “Do Not Link”
I do not believe in aiding misinformation about people. Because my blog represents my views, I take full responsibility for anything I post on it. However, I do believe that I have a responsibility to link to original material. In that spirit, I will use “Do Not Link” to refer to sites whose authors meet certain conditions:
1. The authors make illegal threats against people or espouse views that can reasonably be construed to advocate committing felonies against people.
2. The authors have received comments or attempted comments from me, and the authors express an intention to persist in false statements.
Authors taking exception to my policy can email me at: email@example.com.
[This post was last updated on 13 April 2017]